Friday, December 19, 2008

A First Time for Everything


Hello, my name is Josh, I am 34 years old, and this is my very first blog post. This journey will contain many firsts I hope, the biggest of which will be my first experience abroad. I have never even been to Mexico, and only went to Canada once after a wrong turn. I just got my first passport and visa, and am itching to stamp them up and see what's out there.
I have always been interested in archaeology. Thanks to an angel named Teri, I have returned to the University of Washington after a twelve year hiatus, and after completing my first semester in ages, I am celebrating an appearance on the dean's list. Going back made me think about what I wanted to do with my life. At first I wanted to be a math teacher, but for my first quarter back, I didn't even talk to a counselor and stayed with courses I knew would hold my interest. After a week in my Archaeology 105 class though, I realized that archaeology would be a perfect field for me. I've always been interested in history and the evolution of the human race, and I've owned a metal detector since I was eight, so I have spent a lot of time in the dirt digging up anything from coins to old farm equipment. This trip to Indonesia will not only be one of personal discovery but one of professional as well; in other words I want to see if the archaeological field is as good for me as I think it will be.
Now, as I look out the window on a frozen wasteland, I can't help but think of where I will be just over two weeks from now. My bag is already packed, my vaccinations are all caught up, and I am ready to start the journey, the first chapter of which is lovingly entitled "Indonesia Josh and the Temple of Spice."

No comments:

Post a Comment